Friday, June 15, 2012

Awkward Conversations with Strangers

Aldi Cashier: "So what does your husband do?"

Me: (Not anticipating this question, my mind goes blank.) "Um.... uh. He's a data analyst." 
 
Cashier: "Oh ok. So with all these kids you must be a stay at home mom."

Me: "Yes, I am."

Cashier:  "Right, cause your paycheck would just go to daycare and then some!"

Me: "Definitely."

Cashier: "So you home school. How is that?"

Me: "Uh actually I dont..." 

Cashier: "Oh I assumed with all these kids that you did." 

Me: "Nope."  

Cashier: "Ok, well have a good day."

Me: "You too."


Since Isla was born I've had three people ask me if I home school, a couple of people recommend that I should and this conversation.  I guess having a 5th kid crossed some line that put our family in the "of course you home school" category.  

 During this same shopping trip I met an older woman who stopped me,to look at the kids and then told me that on top of her 4 biological children (all grown and out of the house now), she fostered 178 newborns and 59 "big kids".  Now that's a lot of children!

No comments: