Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tales of Lunch Duty

Once upon a time, last week, as I was vigilantly watching over the playground a little girl asked for my help in opening her jello cup.  Ever so briefly I took my eyes off the children playing to help and when I looked back, there was a 3rd or 4th grade boy scaling a beam above the tire swings. Sigh.

 I didn't even know the kid's name so I asked the little girl with the Jello and she, reluctantly pulling herself away from lick the lid of her chocolaty snack, tells me, "Um, uhhhhh, well mmmm, I think, uhhhhhh, he's new, soooo  his name might beee, ummm, Nuuuh-ate, maybe."

I jogged over to him while calling out what, may or may not, have been his name.  When at last I had his attention he gave me a sheepish look and said, "I shouldn't be up here huh?" I replied, "Sorry, but its not very safe..." (I was going to follow that up with, "please climb down now.") Interrupting me, he lunged off the beam.  While his feet may have hit the ground first (debatable) what stands out is how he landed on his stomach with his arms stretched out as if he was doing a belly flop, bouncing once before jumping up and shouting, "Don't worry I'm ok, I jump off of houses all the time!"  Then he ran off to play.

It was like looking into Kane's future.

The End. 

No comments: