Friday, August 12, 2011

Bookstore Meltdown

Last week I stood in a bookstore with three of my four children, picking out some early reader books for the older boys.

While I searched, Seth and Kane looked at coloring books.

I turned my back on them for maybe 30 seconds and when I looked back over at them it was like tornado had whirled through their section.

I was slightly irritated but kept my cool asking them to clean it up. I felt my blood pressure go up when I was met by resistance. I wasn't expecting that. I pulled out my stern voice and they reluctantly changed their tune.

About this time Ford, who I was holding because I couldn't get the stroller out of the back of the van because the back door was broken (has since been fixed), became determined to get out of my arms so he could play with toys.

Ford has a temper. We've dubbed him baby bear, one minute he's like a sweet snuggly teddy bear and then out of nowhere he turns into a grumpy old grizzly that just came out of hibernation.

Ok so its not out of nowhere its whenever he doesn't get his way.

Screeching, arms flying, head whips back and his back arches.

The words "no" or "stop it" only intensify the outburst.

I decided I needed to get out of there fast.  I quickly picked out my books as I fought Ford and encouraged Kane and Seth to get there job done.

Once things were straightened up we made our way to the check out.  As I was paying the cashier, out of nowhere Seth's arm reaches past me to touch a gift card display.  My kids know that behavior isn't acceptable, unless they are given permission they are to keep their hands to themselves in stores.  So I have no idea what he was thinking but of course this time he disobeyed and the display went flying, hitting the cashier before clamoring to the floor.  

Oh and the cashier was appalled.  I can only assume she was assuming that my children and I are a disaster everywhere we go.  I wanted to explain to her that it wasn't really like this very often, usually I ran a tighter ship but we were just having an off day.  I could see by the look on her face though that she didn't want my excuse/explanation so I instead apologized and left the store immediately.

In the car, I may or may not have grounded all three of them for life....


No comments: