Friday, March 30, 2012

10 Years Ago

On my twentieth birthday a certain boy called me to wish me a happy birthday. 

Here are 7 reasons this is worth blogging about;

1. I had had a crush on said boy for months.

2. We had just started "talking" at school a couple weeks earlier.

3. It was spring break and he was on a guys camping trip in South Dakota, in the pre-everyone has a cell phone era, where he had to purchase a calling card, find a phone and discreetly slip away from his friends to avoid being mocked. 

4. Five days later he was home from his trip and we went on our first date.

5.  We became inseparable and were crazy about each other. 

6. Less than a year after that phone call we got married!  I know, I know, I lived it and its hard for me to wrap my head around how fast we did this but hey, 10 years later and not only are we still together we love each other more than ever!

7. Although this memory is a very good one, it reminds me of my 20 year old self and how thankful I am to have put some distance and hopefully maturity between her and me.  And this, my friends, may well be the only comfort I have as I grapple with turning the big 3-0 today!

Now I'm going to go curl up in bed with a couple boxes of Cadbury creme eggs, let my children watch as many hours of Netflix as they want and try to forget this day has arrived.

I'm kidding, I think.   

1 comment:

Katie said...

Eh, don't worry about 30. Everyone says that their 30's and 40's were their favorite decades of life. So congratulations- here's where things start getting REALLY good! :)