Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gestational Diabetes Test

Yesterday I had an appointment with my midwife, it was my regular check up plus my diabetes test.  Obviously I've had this test 2 other times but this time wasnt quite so horrible.  Instead of the nasty sugary drink you have to down at the crack of dawn, they served me eggs, whole wheat toast, milk and orange juice.  Then instead of having to sit in a lab waiting room for an hour with 20 or more irritable strangers, I sat with my midwife and chatted about the babies she had delivered over the weekend.  Then I did a finger stick, found out that my blood sugar is normal and I went home.   I love that I walk out of every one of my appointments with my midwife, feeling more informed and confident.  I always felt so rushed with my doctor and like I was in the dark about what was going on.  Honestly they never even explained to me that my high blood pressure was high enough to be life threatening until well after I had given birth to Evan and that was only b/c I demanded to know why I couldnt have my IV taken out.  Anyway, when I got home from my doctors appointment I was greeted by my two sweet boys.  The first words out of Evan's mouth were, "Mommy, did the doctor take my baby brother out of you?  I want to play with him, please!"  It was so cute!  When I told him no, he was very disappointed, he had apparently made big plans to watch some Blue's Clues and then go swimming in the pool with his new brother.  I explained that it would be awhile before the baby was here and even then he'd be a little to small to go swimming.  Evan however is convinced that his brother will certainly want to go swimming with him as soon as he's out of my belly.  Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it I suppose.  :)  ]]>

No comments: