Monday, May 7, 2012

Prodromal Labor

So I'm currently 38 weeks, 6 days pregnant and it would seem, still counting.  As I mentioned in my previous post this is my longest pregnancy with Seth's 38 week 2 day gestation knocked down to second place.  

With my last two pregnancies ending at exactly 38 weeks I had the expectation that I'd have given birth by now.  Not so much.

However that doesn't mean there hasn't been any activity.  A little after the 36 week mark something I hadn't experienced before happened, Prodromal Labor.  To learn more about this click on the link but for a quick run down I'll explain what an average night is like for me.  

I wake up somewhere around 12am and 2am with back pain and/or painful contractions.  My adrenalin starts pumping as I suspect that I'm in real labor.  Contractions come in a good pattern for anywhere between 40 minutes to 2 hours long and just before I wake Jed up to go to the birthing center they stop. At this point its anywhere between 2am and 4am in the morning and due to my stress and frustration it takes at least 30 minutes to an hour to calm back down and fall asleep. 

 Even now that I no longer assume that my contractions are real labor its still too painful to sleep through and I'm up for hours each night.  

I've been a real treat as a wife and mom the last couple weeks, evidenced by the fact that Jed and the boys happily let me sleep in until 10am yesterday morning.  Usually the latest I get to sleep in is 8am before someone comes to "check if I'm still alive".  

Just one more reason to love pregnancy.  

No comments: