Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day (after 9 years, with 4 kids and a pregnant wife)

For Valentine's Day this year Jed spoiled me with a new shower head, a bath mat and pillow for our bath tub and a new light for our living room.  It was perfect!  

For him I chose a BBQ theme since he's recently been watching a reality series on Netflix about BBQ competition which has lead to some (out loud) day dreaming about quitting his job to become a BBQ judge. Inspired by not wanting to crush his dream but knowing that a family of 7 would struggle immensely trying to live off a judge's salary (I think their only compensation is the food they taste btw) I ran with my idea.

I found a flavor injector, a fancy electric thermometer and a good sized "pork butt".  I threw together my first ever concoction to inject (its not quite as gross as it sounds) and my first ever dry rub, both loosely based on the show Jed's been watching and some of the Pioneer Woman's recipes.  Once I was done experimenting, my masterpiece spent all day in the oven.  

I spent the rest of the day running around doing the normal stuff I have to do on any given weekday plus all the Valentine's activities with the boys.   

Kane and I made homemade cards for daddy and his big brothers.  He proudly gave his brother's their cards when they got home from school.  Evan and Seth didn't have anything to give to Kane so they  dug through the stash of candy they got from school and each picked out something for him.  They went up to his room, put it up on his bed and then lead him upstairs to find his "Valentine's surprise".  So sweet and Kane couldn't have been happier! 

We had the pork for dinner, it was good but I'm already planning a few tweaks to my recipes.  Jed got to play with his new thermometer when we pulled it out of the oven, its quite elaborate.  

Later Joy came over and watched the boys so we could go out for dessert. Thank you Joy!  We're not big on fighting the crowds so we went to Dairy Queen.  Then we went to Lowe's to look at smokers before my body or more accurately my ligaments started screaming at me to call it a day.  

No comments: