Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Walk

The weather was nice last night so after dinner we decided to take the boys for a seemingly harmless walk around our block. Well, I think I have a permanent place in the neighbor's memories. See as we were walking we came to a house that had a bunch of kids playing in the front. They were all on bikes doing tricks on a big bike ramp with their parents watching. They had to stop everything to let us walk by so of course they're all staring at us. We're walking along and just as we pass them, BAM, my ankle gave out and I bit it. My elbow and my knee hit the ground first followed by my hip and then there was rolling. What a scene! Kane was worried about me, he kept shouting "You K, momma?" As if falling wasn't embarrassing enough my toddler has to shout it to the world all the way home!

Later, Jed, who had resisted the urge to burst into laughter or really even bring it up finally asked me how it happened. I had been thinking about that because there really wasn't anything for me to trip over, I just fell. Then I remembered, when I was about 7 I was walking home from the bus stop and my ankle for no apparent reason gave out and I fell, that was the first time. It happened a few more times while I was growing up. Then in high school I started running cross country and my ankle gave out all the time but usually I was able to catch myself before falling. However once I was in the middle of a race and boom all of a sudden I was on the ground! Fortunately I was in the middle of the woods so no one saw me. I started wrapping my ankles before races after that. Hmm, I wonder if it would be worth it for future walks...

No comments: