Thursday, August 14, 2008

Things You Probably Shouldn't Say To A Pregnant Woman

-"Oh my gosh you're HUGE!" 

-"You've really gotten a lot bigger since the last time I saw you, WOW!"

-Stranger: "So how much longer do you have to go?"  Me: "Two months."  Strangers eyes pop out of her head then says: "I thought you had days not months, I mean look at you." 

-I'm out with the boys, stranger says: "Oh I sure hope you're having a girl this time!" 

-"There is just no way you're going to make it to your due date, you're just too big!"

- Stranger: "So this is going to be your third boy?!"  Me:"Yup."  Stranger:"Weren't you devastated when you found out."  Me:"No, I'm pretty excited."  Stranger: "Well I would have killed myself if I found out I was having a third boy."    

-"So are you getting your tubes tied after this one?" 

-This next one needs a little bit of background.  Last week I had an UTI and needed to get a prescription for antibiotics but b/c my midwife cant prescribe medicine I had to go to a walk in clinic.  This is some of the conversation between me and the doctor.

Doctor walks in the room and says, "Miss, you know this is not the place to come to have a baby, right?" Tone was flat out condescending.  Me:  "Yes I know.  I'm not having a baby I have a UTI."  He tells me to go pee in a cup, I do and then go back to the exam room.  He walks in and says, "Well you have a lot of blood in your urine but no bacteria."  Looking puzzled at his chart he then turns to me and says, "What do you think is going on?"  I was kind of shocked and all I could say was, "I dont know.  Arent you supposed to tell me?"  After we sat down and discussed "options" we decided to just go with an antibiotic but he explained that he needed to do quite a bit of research to find out what would be safe for me b/c I was pregnant and he wasnt sure.  Oh my confidence was just soaring at this point.  Anyway he gave me the script, I went home, got on the internet and did my own research.  Thankfully it turned out to be the right kind of antibiotic for UTIs and pregnant women. 

For the most part I'm not offended by these comments, I actually think its funny (that's why I'm sharing on here).  I know I'm huge, its a part of being pregnant, you have another person living and growing inside of you!  The doctor experience was kind of annoying yet I can laugh about it but I'm never going back there.

No comments: